March 13, 2018
Easybook Saves Up to 40% Cloud Costs with Equinix Interconnection-First Approach
New hybrid cloud infrastructure enabled by Equinix and InfoFabrica brings about significant cost efficiencies and increased flexibility to scale operations to new markets
SINGAPORE – March 13, 2018 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that Southeast Asia’s largest transportation booking services provider, Easybook, has saved up to 40 percent of cloud costs after migrating to a hybrid cloud infrastructure enabled by Equinix and InfoFabrica Consulting Pte. Ltd.
With dynamic economies in the South Asia region, international visitor arrivals in South Asia have grown 10 percent in 2017, according to the latest UNWTO World Tourism Barometer. As a one-stop transportation ticketing platform, Easybook needed to improve the cost-efficiency of its IT operations in order to cater to the rapidly growing customer base, while reinvesting the savings into enhancing features and capabilities to deliver new market offerings.
By re-architecting its IT platform for a digital edge, and using Equinix Performance Hub™ and Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric), Easybook was able to scale rapidly and meet the growing demands of the online travel industry.
- According to the latest UNWTO World Tourism Barometer, international tourist arrivals are booming with a 7 percent growth in 2017 globally to reach a total of 1,322 million. This strong growth momentum is expected to continue in 2018, with the Asia-Pacific region leading the way at an expected growth rate of 5 to 6 percent. Singapore, in particular, has seen an increase of 13.1 percent and 3.6 percent from South Asia and Southeast Asia respectively in 2017.
- This increase in visitors and travel demand in the region raises the need for interconnection across the travel and hospitality industry, as this impacts the ways businesses, consumers and physical infrastructure interact with each other. According to the Global Interconnection Index, published by Equinix, Asia-Pacific’s Interconnection Bandwidth is expected to grow more than four times by 2020, reaching 1,120 Tbps, with enterprises interconnecting to cloud & IT providers use cases projected to grow the fastest at 160 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR).
- With a combined solution from both Equinix and its partner, InfoFabrica, aimed at re-architecting Easybook’s IT platform for a digital edge, Easybook was able to migrate the bulk of its operational architecture to a Performance Hub located within an Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Singapore.
- Equinix Performance Hub delivers a hybrid cloud model where Easybook is able to use its internal assets to drive performance while leveraging cloud service providers (CSPs) via a private and secure connection, including Microsoft Azure Cloud as its key cloud provider.
- This hybrid cloud approach also enables Easybook to install and control its key databases, applications and web portals on its own servers, while freeing IT staff to focus more on strategic activities—growing the business and delivering a superior customer experience.
- Easybook is also using ECX Fabric to deliver the automated, real-time provisioning of multiple CSPs, enabling it to quickly and efficiently leverage other CSPs in the future.
- The direct connectivity offered by ECX Fabric means Easybook benefits from improved performance and scalability, while reducing its cloud service subscription costs by up to 40 percent, and delivering a highly secure application environment.
- William Lee, Founder, Easybook:
“As Southeast Asia’s largest land and sea transport booking platform, we have been able to chart a course to success and rapid growth by switching to a new hybrid cloud infrastructure thanks to InfoFabrica and Equinix. With a physical presence in the Equinix IBX data center in Singapore, and potential to expand on its global platform, we have access to key markets, and can install the highest performing applications on our servers, while interconnecting with our cloud service providers and managing costs. Everything is within our control.”
- Li Wen Chi, Director, InfoFabrica:
“Over the years, our customers have increasingly shifted their business processes to the cloud to meet the demands of the industry. With a strong presence in Southeast Asia, InfoFabrica has the capabilities to help organizations through the process of moving their business to the cloud. By partnering with Equinix, we’re able to provide unconstrained access to IT resources that Easybook requires for a smooth migration to the new hybrid cloud with zero downtime or service interruption.”
- Clement Goh, Managing Director, Equinix South Asia:
“As the travel industry within Southeast Asia continues to expand rapidly, businesses need to think interconnection first because that is the foundation of the digital economy. Organizations need to transform their businesses digitally by moving their IT infrastructure to the digital edge in order to meet the growing demands of the industry. With a large global footprint of 48 key metros around the world, including Singapore—a key regional hub for the Southeast Asia region, Equinix is the right choice for companies such as Easybook to rapidly scale their businesses to new markets and interconnect with new business partners within our ecosystem.”
- Equinix Case Study – Easybook [document]
- Equinix Data Centers and Colocation Services [website]
- Equinix Singapore Data Centers [website]
- Equinix Performance Hub™ [website]
- Global Interconnection Index [infographic]
- InfoFabrica Consulting Pte. Ltd [website]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. In 48 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. Equinix.sg
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric, Equinix Performance Hub and International Business Exchange are trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
Media Contact (Asia-Pacific)
Media Contact (Singapore)
+65 6571 9156
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.