Equinix’s Response to COVID-19
Published: 19th March 2020
Updated: 26nd March 2020
Our ongoing commitment to customers, partners and each other
COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, has affected people around the world in unprecedented ways and in this difficult time, our thoughts are with everyone who has been impacted directly or indirectly. As COVID-19 continues to spread globally, our focus continues to be on the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees, customers, partners and vendors. With the fast and fluid changes of this global pandemic, we feel it important to share the steps we have been taking to maximise safety of people and minimise disruption of service for companies and communities across the Equinix family.
Global Business Continuity
In addition to being laser focused on the health and safety of our employees, customers and partners – the continuity of our services remains front and centre. This is of special importance when it comes to infrastructure supporting the health, financial, government and technology sectors critical to maintaining public health and stabilising the economy.
All Equinix IBXs are fully operational and we have activated our business continuity plans globally with the goal of providing seamless operations throughout our facilities. We are also engaging business-critical vendors and partners to do our best to make sure necessary supplies and services will continue to be provided.
Accessing our IBX Facilities
In response to global guidance around social distancing and to limit interactions, we have restricted access to some of our data centres. Service-critical customers will be permitted into Equinix sites in those markets with special permissions. Regardless of current access restrictions, all Equinix data centres are fully operational. Customers and partners are encouraged to leverage our IBX technicians via Smart Hands whenever possible and to always refer to IBX advisories issued for latest information or changes to access protocols. We are monitoring developments in each market and appreciate your partnership and understanding.
Working with our Team
As current events create sudden new challenges and requirements, Equinix is well-positioned to help organisations react quickly to mitigate IT and infrastructure risks. This includes extending certain Platform Equinix and other interconnection services – for free – to qualifying healthcare, education, research and government services organisations providing public relief or other essential services through this pandemic. Customers can visit the Equinix Customer Portal or contact their account team for urgent and ongoing business priorities.
Working with our Partners
Equinix has top network, cloud, and service providers deployed on our global platform who are actively helping organisations increase capacity and expand their reach to more locations globally, bringing data and applications closer to their users. We encourage customers to contact their account team to connect with one of Equinix’s service provider partners to help with development, deployment, maintenance and billing.
Other Ways We Can Help
As businesses are rushing to scale online collaboration and network capacity, Equinix is already enabling distributed and remote workforces. For organisations experiencing increased or new challenges in these areas, here are additional ways we can help:
- Build network capacity for workforce collaboration to move business forward through a combination of private, secure, physical and virtual interconnection products and services
- Maintain business continuity as employees move to a work from home environment by adding temporary cloud and network access points using secure, direct connections to thousands of network, cloud, SaaS and other providers in key metros around the world
- Remotely add VPN capacity by standing up temporary virtual network services, without the need to deploy any physical infrastructure
- Provide the necessary bandwidth required to ensure your UC&C application performance meets the needs of your remote workforce
- Quickly add secure connectivity to thousands of cloud providers to ensure employees have access to the systems and applications they need to continue to conduct business
- Meet the ever-changing needs of your network and infrastructure demands by turning up and down cloud and network access points in near real-time, remotely, requiring no access to hardware
- For more resources and other examples of how we can help, visit the Equinix Interconnections blog
Leaning On Each Other
We continue to approach this situation with extreme care. The wellness of Equinix employees, customers, partners, vendors and communities is our top priority. We will continue to monitor evolving developments closely and comply with governmental regulations and public health guidance globally. If you have questions or want to share additional ways we can help each other through this time, we are here for you.
Be well. Stay safe.