May 8, 2014
Equinix’s TY4 Data Center Facility Receives LEED® Gold Certification
TOKYO — May 8, 2014 -- Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ:EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it has been awarded the LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building Rating System™ Gold Certification for its high building standards by the US Green Building Council (USGBC) for its fourth Tokyo (TY4) International Business ExchangeTM (IBX®) data center located in Otemachi, Tokyo. TY4 is just one of two data centers in all of Japan to receive the LEED® Gold certification.
Highlights / Key Facts
- LEED was developed by USGBC in 2000 and provides building owners and operators with a framework for identifying and implementing practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions. It takes into account factors such as energy savings, water efficiency and CO2 emissions reduction.
- Opened in August 2013, TY4 is Equinix’s fourth Tokyo data center and provides total capacity of 750 cabinets of equivalent space. TY4 is located at the heart of Otemachi, one of the busiest centers for international finance, as well as the Internet exchange hub in Japan, with 90 percent of Internet traffic being exchanged in the area.
- LEED certification is a green-building certification program that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices across six credit categories: Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality and Innovation in Design. Specific achievements highlighted as part of the LEED Gold certification of TY4 include:
- Strategic location of Otemachi
Not only is TY4 strategically situated in Otemachi for its accessibility and high density network, but Otemachi is also greatly developed in the field of transportation. In the credit category of Sustainable Sites, the robust development of the district’s transportation systems and role in lowering the use of private cars was identified by LEED, as it greatly reduced CO2 emissions.
Efficient equipment and operations
To reduce power consumption, Equinix commissioned a third party to ensure each stage of the data center was built with energy efficient equipment. From planning to design to construction, energy saving measures were implemented throughout the build. As a result, TY4 scored high in the category of Energy and Atmosphere.
Use of eco-friendly materials
TY4 uses eco-friendly materials, presenting various certifications that have verified that the building materials are environmentally friendly. Because of this, TY4 scored high in the Materials and Resources category.
- Strategic location of Otemachi
- TY4 is Equinix’s third LEED certification in Asia-Pacific, following certifications of its Sydney data center (SY3) and Hong Kong data center (HK2). Additionally, Equinix has been recognized for its green initiatives at its Singapore data centers – SG2 and SG3 – with SG2 presented with the Gold Plus award under the BCA-IDA Green Mark for Data Centers scheme. The first of its kind in Asia, the scheme assesses data centers in Singapore based on five key criteria -- energy efficiency, water efficiency, sustainable construction & management, indoor environment quality as well as other green features.
- For more background on Equinix sustainability initiatives including green certifications and green awards, visit: http://www.equinix.com/why-equinix/green-by-design/green-data-centers/.
Kei Furuta, managing director, Equinix Japan:
“Receiving the Gold certification for TY4 from an internationally recognized, prestigious organization such as LEED signifies Equinix’s contribution to raising the global standards of the data center industry. This award fosters greater trust between Equinix and its customers seeking to expand in Asia-Pacific, and will lead to further growth of Platform Equinix. We will continue to deploy the latest technologies to improve energy efficiency for our customers and the environment.”
- Equinix continues to progress on green data center initiatives [blog]
- Equinix Announces Significant Expansion to Increase Data Center Capacity in Singapore [press release]
- Equinix Opens US$65M International Business Exchange Data Centre In Sydney [press release]
About EquinixEquinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.